Alex Miller <a...@puredanger.com> writes:

> On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 1:03:09 PM UTC-5, Chas Emerick wrote:
>> (Parenthetically, it strikes me as very strange for a project to have a
>> copyright assignment to an individual that hasn't lodged any commits, at
>> least insofar as the project gone "solo". It's interesting that I don't
>> have that intuition if the assignee is an org like Apache or whatever, a
>> discrepancy that I'll have to think on.)
>>

> Afaik, this is not at all strange and is (legally) the exact same thing.

Not really. The Apache foundation is a discrete legal entity, with a
declared constitution and legal obligations. Rich is a person; he could
sell the software to anyone. He could die, and then the ownership would
pass to someone.

*Who* owns the copyright is important in a copyright assignment
process. You are putting your trust in that person or organisation, and
whoever that person or organisation passes ownership to.

Phil