On Apr 7, 12:37 pm, Armando Blancas <armando_blan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> in other languages they'd be annotations and maybe perceived
> as redundant, e.g. a call like: (circle x y radius) is readable

Ah, but what about:
(circle year population income)
vs.
(circle :x year :y population :r income)

> In Smtalltalk a single-arg keyword message is readable because the
> syntax gets the received out of the way to the left: 5.0 raisedTo: 3
> where #raisedTo: is both the selector and keyword.

(raise base: 5 to: 3)  ;; all keyword
(raise 5 to: 3)  ;; 1st positional + 2nd keyword

Smalltalk may actually be the asymmetrical one here:
   truck moveX: 5 y: 6
vs.
   truck move x: 5 y: 6 ;; my "prefixed" version
Smalltalk munges the root command name (move) with the keyword for the
first argument (X), which is why I showed a prefixed version instead.
In Clojure this might be:
   (move :obj truck :x 5 :y 6) ;; all keyword
   (move truck :x 5 :y 6) ;; combine position + keyword