Richard Newman <holyg...@gmail.com> writes:
> Having digested Rich's notes, pretty much the only thing that I
> disagree with is the lack of automatic bignum promotion/demotion. It
> seems like too much of a bad tradeoff,

This nicely summarizes my thoughts.  The other parts of Rich's notes
seem very elegant, but I can see lack of promotion leading to problem in
my own code.  Some external input causing an intermediate result to
overflow would certainly happen.  Probably at the least convenient time
possible.

(Have we discarded the concept of a set of non-promoting math functions
that are only used during optimization? prim-+ prim-/ etc.)

Cheers,
Chris Dean