On 18 June 2010 15:08, Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I enjoy a theoretical debate as much as the next person, it would be
> nice to see
>
> (1) examples of real code that fail on reasonable inputs, if this change
> were made. And how difficult it would be to fix them.
>
> (2) examples of real code that get way faster, and the ease of making those
> changes (if any).
>
> WRT #1, we have tested a few dozen libs, and found only a single trivial
> breakage in their test suites. But I would say tha is still just plural
> anecdotes. More data welcome!

I'm new to clojure, and while I have an interest in fast number
crunching, and in easily using big numbers, I don't have a valid
opinion on the whole matter.

However, I know that some time back, Python changed in precisely the
opposite direction - from separate small and big numbers to a unified
numeric type. Their situation is completely different (not least
because all Python objects are effectively boxed, so the speed benefit
of primitive arithmetic isn't relevant) but there may be real-world
examples of code that demonstrates (1) in the Python discussions. If
the information might be useful, I'd be happy to do some searching of
the archives.

Paul.