Dear all,

just finished to read the proposals.

- prim is great and would allow to keep performance in more idiomatic code
- I am pro-num.
  It allows to get read of plenty of annotations or java methods.
 Annotations are difficult for beginners, makes code hard to read, maintain
and modify, even for experts.
Moreover, in those days of 64-bits integers, the need for bigint is quite
rare, except for Fibonacci or factorial functions ;-b.
That's a bit provocative, but I think most code that needs bigints are
"number-centric" code.
I mean code whose primary interest is the treatment of numbers.

Whereas every single program suffers from annotation or boxing.

Currently, all programs have to pay (annotations, speed, and/or java code).

I feel it is fairer that a few programs, that have high expectation on
numbers, should pay.
I think, however, it is important we ensure they have a way to pay. And that
it is not too expensive.

Maybe, it could be interesting to keep the old behaviour in safe-+, safe-*
and the like?

Or, as Rich said, to make a good big numbers implementation that scales well
to small integers.

Maybe, there should be a compiler option for default arithmetic :
* choose from long (the default default), int (for people wanting to run
clojure on a mobile phone), FastAndCleverBigNums (for people caring about
safety and having unusually big numbers)
* the same could be made for default decimal arithmetic.

One of the great benefit of num, is that it allows:

- equal, which is a big step forward.

Altogether, I like very much the fact that these proposals, together with
protocols and datatypes, gives a way to obtain high performance Clojure code
in a Java-agnostic way.
It seems a good thing for clojure in clojure and porting to other platforms.

Best regards,

Nicolas.