On Jun 18, 4:22 am, Nicolas Oury <nicolas.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Carson <c.sci.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Don't buy it. That's the whole point of BigInt contagion. If fact and foo
> > > are correctly written this will work.
>
> > BigInt contagion doesn't help if in some convoluted manner a BigInt's
> > value is used to construct a primitive sufficiently large that later
> > causes an overflow.
>
> > I would like to see that in real examples. And not in something that tend
>
> to be mainly a program that crunch numbers.
> (I think a program "about numbers" could take a bit of complexity to handle
> numbers.
>  If you write a program to that generates web page, you agree to have an
> html library and not have "every structure in clojure is html".)

I agree!  Sorry I have no real examples, just my contrived example.
But note the example I used isn't *that* contrived, in the sense that
it doesn't use any type hints or explicit conversion to primitives to
cause an overflow on purpose. The point is that the overflow may occur
as a legitimate side effect of doing something else, whereas it
currently will not.

And *still*, I'm in favour of fast by default, with an *easy* way to
make things safe as an option. The key is to make the safe option
*easy*.