Speaking for me only: Let a million IDEs bloom.

I'm just expressing my interest in there being at least one that allows new
users to download/install/edit/run code with minimal work and minimal prior
knowledge.

The only reason I can figure that anyone would think this is bad is if he/she
has a financial interest in Clojure getting popular enough to spawn jobs, but
not popular enough to spawn programming competition!

 -Lee

On Jun 28, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Brian Hurt wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM, cageface <milese...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think the goals of making Clojure a little
> easier to start with and keeping it a "professional" language are
> necessarily totally at odds but efforts to build something like
> Processing or even DrScheme on it seem misdirected.
>

> Isn't it?  What's the solution to "Clojure supports too many different IDEs"
> other than "support fewer IDEs"?  The same goes for the "Clojure supports too
> many different make systems".
>
> One of the reasons you don't learn to fly on a 747 is that the thing has 12
> fuel gauges.  I'm not kidding.  There are 6 different fuel tanks around the
> plane, and each fuel tank has 2 different gauges (google "Gimli Glider" for
> why this is so).  This allows the professional pilot can then use this to his
> advantage (pulling fuel from different tanks over a long flight to help keep
> the plane in trim).  But to the newbie pilot who just wants to know if he's
> about to run out of fuel or not, having 12 different fuel gauges does not
> help.  Having 12 different supported build systems, or IDEs/editors, is not
> unlike having 12 different fuel gauges.
>
> That said, I have no problem with there being a DrClojure environment kicking
> around, designed for the beginner programmer- so long as that is not the
> *only* supported environment.  Which means if your complaint is that there
> are too many build systems or IDEs to choose from, too much choice, I have no
> sympathy for you.
>
> Brian

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/