On Jun 28, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Brian Hurt wrote:
> This is the question I had on the blog post- what is meant by a "newbie"?
> Specifically, what sort of newbie is Clojure wanting to attract?  One of the
> "complaints" the original poster had was that you had a choice of editors.
> Of the pool of potential Clojure users, how many of them are not already
> familiar with one (or more) of vi, emacs, or eclipse/other Java IDE?  If not
> 0, then it surely must be very small.  That you can adopt Clojure without
> having to learn a new editor is a huge plus in my book (if I have to use your
> development environment to learn your language, I'm highly unlikely to learn
> your language).

I've used emacs for decades and that's what I'm currently using to write
Clojure code, but (A) setting it up to work with Clojure was a pain (not just
for me but for many others who have written to the list describing their
problems), and (B) I want to teach Clojure to students who don't necessarily
know emacs. Some of these students may know another editor in your list, but
many won't and many will never have touched Java.

There are several things in the Clojure community that are close to providing
what's needed for this class of newbies, and as I mentioned in another thread
I'm planning to use NetBeans/Enclojure because I think it's currently the
closest.

For a couple of years I've taught some courses using Processing
(processing.org), which is basically Java but with an IDE and some libraries
and other bells and whistles that make it really easy for total newbies (esp
art students) to download a single thing and start making cool stuff. I think
it's quite popular in several circles in part because of this ease of getting
started. From my Lisp-world perspective it's something like working with the
old MCL or LispWorks or DrScheme. You get this one thing (download or install
from CD) and then you're ready to go, with a language-aware editor that obeys
your OS's normal interface conventions and lets you run code, etc., without
worrying about installing or learning other things. What I'd like for Clojure
is something along these lines. I think that NetBeans/Enclojure is maybe sort
of almost there, as is MCLIDE (but that's not cross platform), and maybe also
Eclipse/Counterclockwise (although I found Eclipse's interface confusing, and
there was no Clojure indentation when I last tried it, so I didn't get far).

I am NOT suggesting that there be a single "official" IDE (as I think someone
else suggested). I am just saying that having one option that provides a
simple, idiot-proof way to start (with a single download/installation, a
reasonable editor, a way to run code, and a way to handle classpaths or at
least simple instructions about where to put things so that they will be found)
would open the door to a certain class of newbies that includes me and a fair
number of students.

 -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/