On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 00:19:26 -0400
Lee Spector <lspec...@hampshire.edu> wrote:

> The editor issue is key when we're talking about an environment for newcomers.

Yup. The ideal situation should be to let them use whatever text
editor they're comfortable with. You really only need two things for
writing clojure code: paren matching, and an auto-indent mode that
indents to the same level as the previous line. Any reasonable text
editor should have both of those. Not ideal, but good enough to start
with.

> Yes emacs has built-in paren matching but emacs (like vi) is something
> that has to be learned, not all newcomers will know it, I don't want
> to force my students to use it (although I use it)

But you're willing to force them to use some other editor?

> and anyway you really need indentation too (IMHO) and getting emacs
> to do Clojure indentation is cumbersome.

See, I find this funny. Getting emacs to do clojure indentation is
pretty much exactly as hard as getting clojure to use some third party
library: dump clojure-mode.el onto your load-path, and then load
it.

> The single-download environments that I've mentioned for Lisp &
> Scheme & Processing (and someone else just said they're also
> available for Groovy and Jython) have editors that are good enough
> for real use.

Considering that I've never seen an IDE that I thought had an editor
that was "good enough for real use", I find that statement highly
subjective.

Basically, you need someone to either a) write an editor for clojure,
or b) provide instructions for setting up a suitable java-sourced
editor (so it runs everywhere) to do clojure indentation, then bundle
all that with clojure and clojure-contrib and a little bit of support?

       <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html