On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:20 AM, lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca wrote:

> Having expert people mastering several tools in any project increases the like
> hood of being on time and within budget.

I agree partially.  Given unlimited resources, it would be great for all the
people on the project to have a mastery of all the tools used in the project.
But resources are never unlimited, and therefore compromise is always
necessary.  I bet your organization was a small, focused team of experts -- a
sharp tool for specific jobs -- not a large consulting organization with
hundreds of employees and dozens of major projects.

The primary point I was making was that each new technology introduces overhead
in development, maintenance and operations.  Therefore it should be included
only if the benefit is compelling when compared to the change in costs
associated with a team who can develop, maintain and operate a system that uses
the technology.  If a team like yours introduces a new technology, eventually
the customer will have to maintain and operate it without your staff of
top-notch experts to hold their hands.  And I guess you guys weren't cheap in
the first place.  As they say, fast delivery, low cost, high quality -- pick
any two.  You were high quality and fast delivery.

As far as failed projects go, in my experience, most failed projects fail not
because the team is not good enough to deliver -- although this is possible --
but because of poor project leadership, poor executive support, requirements
that shift too much, or disinterested or distant customers.  These are
essentially business reasons, not technical reasons.

steven