On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 13:42:44 -0700
Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Michael Ossareh <ossa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've regularly found that the multi-disciplinarian programmer is far more
> > adept at solving issues in a creative manner than the "I've a skilled hammer
> > and I'll wield it in the direction of any nail"-mono-linguistic programmer.
> > Perhaps that is just an artifact of working in startups though.
>
> Possibly.

His comment is generally true, at least so long as the languages are
really different. The obvious solution in one language may be
non-obvious in a second, but have advantages over the obvious solution
in the second language. A programmer skilled in both languages is more
likely to see that "creative" solution than one who only knows the
second language.

> I've worked in a variety of organizations from small
> startups to large corporations (such as insurance companies). In the
> smaller companies, developers have to wear more hats and it's common
> for a web developer to know HTML, JavaScript, SQL, **insert scripting
> language** and often shell scripts and / or other tools to help
> automate tasks. I don't see much difference between that and **insert
> multiple languages**.

This affect only works if the languages are sufficiently different to
have different "obvious" solutions for a large number of problems.
This is why people recommend learning a LISP even if you'll never use
it - it will expand the way you look at problems. In your case, you
have a markup language instead of a programming language, a database
language, and a handful of scripting languages. Depending on the
scripting languages, that's more like an expert in C++, C# and Java -
basically three iterations of the same language - than an expert in
(for example) C, Python, and Scheme.

When it comes to multi-language projects, if you project is all
Python, then someone who knows C/Python/Scheme and someone who knows
Java/Python/Clojure are probably equivalent candidates. If your
project is Java/Python, then the second one would be a good fit, and
the first somewhat questionable (at the very least, they'll need time
to come up to speed on Java). So even if you restrict yourself to
multilingual programmers, multiple implementation languages cuts down
on the pool of qualified people.

   <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html