brew install emacs --cocoa

worked pretty well for me. and then my fork of emacs-starter-kit if
that is useful to anyone:

https://github.com/gar3thjon3s/emacs-starter-kit

my default-profile.el has a few settings for making the brew installed
emacs work better with os x.

by the way thanks for the set-exec-path-from-shell-PATH function, that
is awesome.

> If you have issues with emacs failing to pick up the right executables,
> you can use the following nifty trick to ensure Emacs' $PATH matches the
> one you've configured for Bash in Terminal:
>
> (defun set-exec-path-from-shell-PATH ()
>  (let ((path-from-shell (shell-command-to-string "$SHELL -i -c 'echo
> $PATH'")))
>    (setenv "PATH" path-from-shell)
>    (setq exec-path (split-string path-from-shell path-separator))))

> (if window-system (set-exec-path-from-shell-PATH))