On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:57:03 PM UTC-5, Arthur Edelstein wrote:

> So my request for Clojure's future development, is that backwards
> compatibility not be broken. This means that Clojure code needs a way
> of designating what Clojure version it is targeted for.

I'm with you, Arthur. Beyond the work that 1.3.0 has caused in the immediate
sense (about a week of my labor) it has affected my ability to invest in
Clojure. I pay my rent as a consultant, and I cannot in full consciousness
advise clients that Clojure is a good idea right now for long-term projects.
Who knows what breakage 1.4.0 will bring? The thought really makes me pause.

Carrying around a legacy is obviously very painful for project maintainers,
but doing so responsibly is a sign of project maturity. Clojure is not quite
there. At this point, for many potential users l can only advise that they
keep an eye on Clojure and wait and see, and for now choose more dependable
platforms. Obviously, I represent only a certain segment of Clojure users.
Others do not care as much about long-term investment. I'm afraid, though,
that my segment wasn't heard at all in this case in the march to improve the
language.

A related point: the amount of breakage that 1.3.0 has caused --
particularly the rearranging of the entire contrib universe -- would have
warranted, in my opinion, a "2.0" designation for the release. The "0" after
the "2" tells people that this is a fresh start, and is not intended to be
mature. The wary would then know to wait until a "2.1" before migrating.