> Stu's comment actually worries me in this respect: the fact that each contrib
> has its own version may make it easier to evaluate them separately, but it
> would appear to me as a defeatist goal for Clojure moving forward.

Things that are simple can be composited. Things that are compounds typically
cannot be simplified. Separate versions make it easier for the dev team to
release a batteries-included build (or a beginner build, or an Android build,
etc. etc.)

Also: With modular contribs it is easy for people shipping software to vet and
groom their own team-specific standard library.

> What I would want to see is a coherent standard library that is centrally
> maintained.

Modularity helps, not hurts, in achieving this.

> Contrarily, it seems that effort is being put into cleaning up the core and
> jettisoning anything merely suspected of being superfluous.

That certainly isn't an objective. Can you list some examples of things that in
your opinion were casually jettisoned?

> So, what's going to happen to all that stuff outside? Will it be maintained
> by "the community"? The same "community" that made the 1.2 contrib? Or maybe
> Clojure 1.5 will bring some of them into the fold? (I'm not being sarcastic;
> these are honest questions about the possibilities and vision.)

Can you list the specific libraries that you think are causing the most trouble?

> Someone on this thread mentioned that it's all as expected, and that Clojure
> is just for a bunch of geeks, anyway, so breakage is no big deal (I'm
> paraphrasing). I hope for a strong official position against that.

Clojure is for production software. Breakage is a huge deal. Clojure has an
amazing track record of stability, even including the changes in 1.3.

Libraries are a different story. Contrib in particular has a mixed record. We
are changing that now. Help welcomed.

Stu