>> Contrarily, it seems that effort is being put into cleaning up the core and
>> jettisoning anything merely suspected of being superfluous.
> That certainly isn't an objective. Can you list some examples of things that
> in your opinion were casually jettisoned?
>
> I didn't use the word "casually." But, to the point, see the discussion here,
> re defn-:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/clojure/r_ym-h53f1E/discussion

Thanks for picking an example I am already familiar with.  :-) The defn- thread
wasn't about casually jettisoning something, but almost the opposite. In that
thread you see me and several other people standing *against* making a casual
breaking change to core, to meet an entirely superficial need that is easily
solved by libraries.

I would point to this thread as an example of responsible stewardship, of How
It Ought To Work. A question was raised in the right forum (on the public
mailing list), a respectful conversation followed, a variety of opinions where
expressed, and best of all no breaking changes were made.

> Libraries are a different story. Contrib in particular has a mixed record. We
> are changing that now. Help welcomed.
>
> I'll repeat that I'd prefer not to think of it is as "contrib," as if it's
> something provided by the community ("help welcomed/wanted"), but as a
> standard library very close to the language itself. In my opinion, this would
> strengthen Clojure and its acceptance. The language core might be mature, but
> any language needs a mature standard library. I can think of a few
> non-exciting languages (Java!) that were broadly adopted because the standard
> library -- together with the rest of the platform -- was strong, mature, and
> proven.

I was referring to the aggregate contrib, not a curated subset (which I agree
is a good idea). Maybe we should call the aggregated thing the Libraries
Formerly Known as Contrib (LFKAC).

Stu