On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Andy Fingerhut
<andy.finger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
>
> Cedric, have you tried your method before?  I'm not sure, but I think it was
> the thing that I tried that led me to add (b) to my list of preference.  I
> like anything that makes the development job easier, but not if it violates
> that preference.

The tooltip could, in principle, extend beyond the browser window, but
the link would have to be at the far right edge of the window, the
text would have to be long or the pointer would have to be near the
right edge of the link, AND the browser window would have to,
bizarrely, not be maximized.

In particular, if you fear that the tooltip would extend beyond the
screen edge so half of it wasn't displayed at all, that won't happen
-- at least, not in Firefox.

The last time I saw it the cheat sheet's main content occupied a
vertical strip with fairly wide margins left and right. Unless you're
putting the full text of the Declaration of Independence into one of
the tooltips I don't see there being much likelihood of a problem
there.

Furthermore, eschewing standard tooltips and using JS or something to
roll your own would likely render the tooltips inaccessible (or worse,
confusing) with screen-reader software for the visually impaired.