On 8/01/2013, at 12:02 PM, David Jacobs wrote:

> 1. Would it be harder to hire if we built our apps with Clojure? More
> specifically: Hiring for people who know about or already love Clojure/FP
> is certainly a nice filter for talent, but is it too stringent of a filter?

Finding really good people is difficult regardless of the technology you're
using. At Montoux, I hired two very clever CS PhDs who had no previous
experience with Clojure or ClojureScript, yet they picked it up in a couple of
weeks. Both have experience with Java and the JVM which is great, but most
importantly, they "get" the concepts behind functional programming, which made
learning Clojure a breeze.

> 3. What major road blocks have teams discovered at the edges of Clojure
> (keeping in mind that perhaps several of these problems could be solved
> using native Java calls)?

The main problem we're seeing (especially for ClojureScript related stuff) is
that the ecosystem is relatively young, and while there are lots of great
libraries and tools out there, several of them have been stagnant, are only
supported by one or two part-time developers, or have rapidly changing API's.
Picking libraries that are actively maintained and have a good support
community is tricky and important. Clojure and several Clojure frameworks are
maturing rapidly so it's becoming less and less of a problem there, but the
ClojureScript side of things, in terms of libraries and tooling, is pretty bare
bones and can be a source of occasional frustration.

> What other tips do you have for convincing an employer that Clojure makes
> good business sense?

That mostly depends on your actual business (picking the right tool for the job
etc). For some businesses, Clojure won't make much sense. For us it's been
awesome. A few things that make our lives easier: easy manipulation of data,
good concurrency support, favouring generic and simple data structures (lists
and maps mostly) over rigid class hierarchies, easily readable and compact
code, great support for writing DSLs and compiling code on the fly.

that's my $0.02 :)

cheers,
gert