although I'm sure everybody's seen this, I believe it is relevant here,
this clojureconj by Chris Granger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Eu9vZaDYw
maybe only applies to clojurescript(that is, being slow in this case)
the important stuff is at from 13:59

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Mark Rathwell <mark.rathw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I haven't hit any hard limits at this point, but you hit on a use case
> where Python and Lua currently hit a sweet spot that I think would be
> nice to use Clojure:
>
> C/C++ systems that want to expose scripting capabilities to users
> (e.g. game engines, robotics systems).
>
> For these types of use cases, the ability to deploy native Clojure
> executables is not as important as the ability embed a low-resource
> runtime, the ability to call C/C++ code, the ability to sandbox the
> environment, etc.
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > That's why I think it's a good idea to ask what the goals are for native
> > Clojure. The ClojureScript and Clojure-Py options while nice both don't
> > allow for a good concurrency story. On top of that, I'm not sure either
> of
> > those would actually run on iOS.
> >
> > However, a pure, from-scratch option has a much smaller ecosystem to draw
> > from. But on the upside, you're also not limited by the host VM. This
> means
> > that the type system could be based purely on protocols instead of
> having to
> > fit protocols into a OOP type system.
> >
> > These are the questions I'd like to see people answer here: what hard
> limits
> > have you hit with Clojure/ClojureScript that you think could be resolved
> > with a native Clojure implementation?
> >
> > Timothy Baldridge
> >

> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Paul deGrandis <
> paul.degran...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Additionally, you might also consider ClojureScript itself.  With a
> little
> >> work you could embed V8 into your application
> >> (https://developers.google.com/v8/embed).
> >>
> >> Martin Trojer just wrote a really nice blog post on embedded runtimes -
> >> http://martinsprogrammingblog.blogspot.co.uk/
> >>
> >> All that said, for most apps where an embedded, scripting runtime is
> >> advantageous, ClojureScript-Lua +LuaJIT and PyClojure+cFFI+Python/PyPy
> are
> >> two very attractive options.  In the best case scenario, the former
> delivers
> >> more speed and a smaller footprint, trading off some library and
> ecosystem
> >> comforts.  The latter has a great ecosystem, but will be slower and
> have a
> >> larger memory footprint.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> >> --
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > “One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
> > zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
> > programs.”
> > (Robert Firth)
> >
> > --
> > --
> [...]

I may be wrong or incomplete.
Please express any corrections / additions,
they are encouraged and appreciated.
At least one entity is bound to be transformed if you do ;)