One option would be to call R from Clojure.   I haven't tried this, and I
don't know how well it would fit your needs.

Rincanter
<http://joelboehland.com/posts/all-your-datasets-r-belong-to-us.html> is
supposed to allow this.  Presumably it would bypass the Incanter functions
that you don't want to use.

Rincanter is apparently a wrapper around JRI <http://www.rforge.net/rJava/>,
a Java library for calling R.  You could probably use that directly,
without using Rincanter.

I can't figure out whether R-nREPL <https://github.com/vspinu/R-nREPL> is
also a possible solution, but maybe it is.

About this:
"Requiring incanter seems to be making my program launch an additional java
process, which is mysterious and unwelcout ome":

I think you're probably referring to the fact that some Incanter components
load Java's Swing library, which causes a little Java icon to appear (on my
Mac, at least).  Yeah, that is annoying, if you don't need graphical
output.  But you can avoid it.

First, I'd make sure that you are using the latest Incanter library, e.g.
by pasting the appropriate lines (see Incanter's github repo) into a
Leiningen project.clj file.  If you're using the standalone Incanter
application--sometimes that's older, and you will have less control over
what's loaded.  Second, only *use* or *require* the components you
need--but you probably need one of the ones that loads Swing by default.
Third (this is the key):  Add
*:jvm-opts ["-Djava.awt.headless=true"]*
to your Leiningen project.clj.  That will prevent the Swing icon from
popping up.

You might also want to ask for help on the numeric-clojure Google group or
the Incanter group, or filing issues on the Incanter github repo.  The
latter might not be your cup of tea, of course.

(There's an open issue about the Swing popup that I filed (#255).  Incanter
is a huge project, and there are understandably lots of issues that the
folks working on it are trying to address, presumably as quickly as they
can.)
There