On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 18:10 +0000, Matthew Allum wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:35 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 16:32 +0000, Matthew Allum wrote:
> > > Hi;

> > > Just as a quick note for folks, please take care in following that
> > > tutorial. Its not complete, contains some inaccuracies
> >
> > Please do find the time to tell me about inaccuracies. Until now I've
> > corrected everything that you've mentioned.
> >

> Will definitely do so! Its not so much total inaccuracies in API usage
> etc its just I think it misses detail where its important and feels
> quite dry (e.g. no diagrams) / impractical (animation stuff is not
> totally clear) - just a rather thin extension of the API docs

The API documentation is rather bare. Much of the stuff in the
documentation could indeed be in the API documentation.

>  with some
> not so exciting examples

As the documentation states, the examples are meant to be very simple so
that the new concepts are obvious and not lost in a sea of code. The
"full example" should indeed be much more exciting (it's crappy) and I
hope that someone with more clutter-foo will one day do that.

>  and rather strange descriptions (2.5D for
> example, '2D surfaces in 3D space' is better imho).

Changed. I picked "2.5D" up from somewhere or other and it seemed to be
the one that Clutter people liked and understood. It was new to me.

>  Anyway dont take
> that the wrong way - I know it is not easy to write docs. Am likely
> going to write a 'chapter' on animation so I can show you what I mean.
>
> > >  and is not
> > > totally in sync with current trunk.
> >
> > It should be. The examples build against trunk (they aren't just
> > copy/pasted in).
> >

> >From a quick look, I dont think the events and actor docs (event capture
> phase,

I updated the events documentation after the previous discussion on the
list. See, for instance, the "Clutter first allows the stage to handle
each event via the captured-event signal" text here:
http://www.openismus.com/misc/clutter_tutorial/docs/tutorial/html/ch04s04.html

If something else has changed since then about events then I can't see
it in the ChangeLog.

> anchor point, order of transformations etc).

What part of the API should I be looking at to mention the "anchor
point" concept, and where is an order of transformations to be
discovered? I don't think they are mentioned at all yet in the tutorial.

>  I think GTK widget
> has had its namespace changed.

Thanks. Fixed. GtkClutter changed to GtkClutterEmbed.
(and doesn't work any more for me, unfortunately:
)

I regularly rebuild clutter and clutter-documentation, but I guess I
forgot to rebuild clutter-gtk.

>  Also no info on new features of upcoming
> 0.6 - JSON, Shaders etc.

I'm waiting for someone with more clue than me to provide some kind of
example. The lack of these new features in the tutorial doesn't make the
tutorial bad though.

Other missing stuff (already marked by TODO) is waiting for the
high-level library (with boxes, scroll window, etc) to be released so I
can take something reasonable sensible as inspiration.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.murrayc.com