On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 10:16 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 21:42 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > > for legal reasons we now have to ask everyone that attaches a patch for
> > > Clutter to our Bugzilla to waive the copyright for the patch itself --
> > > effectively placing the patch under public domain.
> > >
> > > the full copyright waiver is available at:
> > >
> > >   http://bugzilla.openedhand.com/waiver.html
> > [snip]
> >
> > Will the Clutter license be changing to public domain too?
>
> obviously not.
>
> >  I don't
> > believe a license (LGPL at the moment) can be enforced if there is no
> > copyright holder, and probably not if large parts of the product have no
> > copyright holder.
>
> the patch, in order to be integrated, must be placed under the public
> domain; once we integrate it in the repository it effectively becomes
> part of Clutter, hence it falls under its licensing terms.
>
> other than that, IANAL -- but the legal team that came up with this
> option are so I tend to trust their recommendations on legal matters.

Yeah, I would normally avoid any boring legal discussion, but I do think
it's a fundamental part of copyright law that you can't go to court and
defend a copyright if you are not the copyright holder. That concept has
some fancy latin name and it's lawyer 101. And a license is meaningless
without copyright.

I suggest you run that idea by the lawyers.

--
murr...@murrayc.com
www.murrayc.com