On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 11:49 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> I think there has been some form of misunderstanding here; the copyright
> waiver is only needed for the Clutter libraries, not - for instance -
> for the tutorial.
>
> the attachment flag on Bugzilla is entirely optional in nature;
> otherwise we'd have a disclaimer saying you are waiving your copyright
> when attaching a patch to Clutter core by pressing 'Submit'.

Cool. But that's far from clear when attaching in bugzilla. It just
talks about the "Clutter Project" and strongly suggests that your patch
cannot be used if the waiver is not accepted. I'll wait a few days in
case someone manages to fix that.

As well as making that text clearer, I guess you should try to only show
it for relevant products in bugzilla.

> for external documentation and bindings hosted on clutter-project.org
> that we don't control (e.g. the clutter-sharp bindings) we cannot ask
> for a copyright waiver simply because we don't have the copyright on
> thme -- the copyright of the tutorial is (C) Openismus, not (C) Intel
> Corporation.
>
> also if you don't want to waive your copyright *when contributing to
> Clutter* then you can contact us and we'll start the loop with the Intel
> lawyers for other copyright handling options. that's also what I wrote
> in the original email.
>
> > The openedhand developers have not made any real effort to review the
> > clutter tutorial anyway, despite my efforts to make it an official part
> > of clutter rather than something outside of clutter/openedhand.
>
> I actually read the tutorial, and apart from the general "2.5D/3D" issue
> that was reported,

Which was mentioned to me by an openedhand person and was removed as
soon as an openedhand person said they didn't like it, but I keep
hearing pointless complaints about it even now.

>  the general feeling was that the tutorial just needed
> some more examples and review from third party developers.

Openedhand developers have warned people not to use it until openedhand
developers have reviewed it, which they haven't. Sorry for not spending
the time to do the email archeology.

>  I speak for
> myself, but I cannot write a decent tutorial because: a) I know how
> Clutter internals work, and b) if I have to write some documentation I
> prefer having it inside the API reference.

Thanks. You haven't personally been part of the problem.

--
Murray Cumming
murr...@murrayc.com