On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 17:10 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> > the PowerVR simulator has its own idiosyncrasies that might make stuff
> > compile, but break subtly; this is acquired knowledge from the 0.8
> > development cycle. the only way of actually verifying that the GL|ES
> > backends work with real implementations is to have real implementations
> > run the code. which we don't have.
>
> OK, understood. I still maintain that people aren't going to test stuff
> that doesn't compile. I can get people to debug runtime problems, but I
> can't get them to fix the build first.

it works fine with the win32 and osx backends: we received valuable
feedback and patches to make both backends compile (for the win32
backend Neil is usually on the case, but we've been swamped by Moblin
work so it takes time even for him) and work.

> >> The cynical side of me suggests that intel is blocking GLES work so
> >> clutter only works on x86, but that's just me being cynical.
> >
> > that would be just you being cynical and wrong. we helped, and still
> > help everyone that wishes to use Clutter on GL|ES hardware. if we wanted
> > to mess people up we could have just yanked out the whole GL|ES backends
> > from the start.
>
> You should yank then from the releases, but keep them in git.

there is no such thing as "yank then from releases".

Cairo still ships with the glitz backend that can be enabled by a
configure option, even though it's completely unmaintained except for
drive-by patches, if we want to look at another similar case.

>  That way
> it's clear that GLES is broken and basically unsupported, but leaves the
> door open for someone to fix it.

given the amount of emails, comments on blogs and conversations on IRC
in which I explained the GL|ES situation, it would be fair to assume
that, by now, the people that might want to use Clutter 1.0 on embedded
hardware with GL|ES support are aware of the situation.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi, Senior Engineer        | emmanuele.ba...@intel.com