1) I am not a fair weather sailor, and I do not find cavitation to be much of a problem, even in bad weather. I have seen many outboard installations that mounted the bracket and the motor too high. Garelick makes a LOT of models, and gives all dimensions including range of travel. Careful planning affects the outcome of any project. Speedy little whizzy props on regular long shaft outboards may have more of an issue with cavitation. My prop rarely comes out of the water, except in very active following seas, and since it is spinning slower, it doesn't cause the motor to rev to to the moon when it does.

2) Practicality can often trump aesthetics. I would rather see an outboard on a sailboat than SeaRay style stainless steel handrails glaring in the sun. I could see aesthetics of an outboard possibly being an issue on a Hinckley B-40, but not on a C&C 27.

3) The entire effort to reinforce the transom consists of a 3/4 inch plywood backing plate and fender washers, and a 1 inch thick pad on the exterior made of either starboard or plywood. I changed the original plywood for Starboard so I would never have to worry about deterioration again in my lifetime. The outboard and bracket weighs probably less than half what any inboard weighs, so motion and balance is not adversly affected. She sits on her lines.

4) WHAT outboard you pick makes all the difference. My 4 stroke Yamaha is as reliable as my car. The high thrust option gives me the TYPE of thrust a sailboat needs to be efficient. Small, frantically fast propellers may be fine for speed boats, but displacement hulls want low end grunt, which means a huge, slow spinning prop. No cavitation is just one of the benefits. Fuel efficiancy is another. If you like sailing in light air, you are much better off with the prop OUT OF THE WATER, and not dragging down your forward progress. Tie a small bucket on a rope and toss it overboard while doing 3 or 4 knots, and get an idea of what that underwater anchor is doing to sailing performance. There is a reason why the outboard version of the boat has a lower PHRF rating than the inboard. Oh, yes, the C&C 27 was available new with either an inboard or and outboard. Arguments about it being designed only for an inboard are ill informed. My C&C 27 came from the factory with an outboard.

5) Raising and lowering. I have a small 4-1 vang with 1/4 inch line, between the outboard and the stern rail. My diminuative wife can easily raise the motor with one hand while drinking a cup of coffee with the other hand. The supposed difficulty of operating the controls has likewise been greatly exaggerated. Modern outboards have the gearshift, throttle and kill switch mounted on the long tiller within easy reach without hanging over the stern to reach them. Being able to use the outboard as a stern thruster or to pivot the boat on it's axis is a nice benefit. I can turn around in a fairway without a series of backing maneuvers. I just turn the outboard to one side, and around I spin.

6) I used to obsess about having enough electricity. Between the outboard and a 20 watt solar panel with a genasun controller (MUST be genasun) and 2 AGM group 27 batteries, I never seem to go below 75% charge no matter what I do. I run a full compliment of VHF, 2 gps/chartplotters, Depth, wind, and often RADAR. It's just not a problem. While the boat is at reast, the solar panel charges that last 5-10% of capacity that no alternator ever charges.

I agree that this is probably about a $4k conversion, all in, if you do it yourself. You will have brand new everything.

Bill Bina