From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Robert
Gallagher via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 10:01 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List follow-up on outboards

Here is my two cents.

Engine issues will not simply go away by purchasing an outboard.  Outboards
break down, it's a fact of life.

On of the reasons I justified selling my 30MMKI with an A-4 was that the engine
was the original, 1972, raw water cooled, soon to die, at the end of the line,
it must be, it's old, it's only a matter of time....  Well, I made fast friends
with the new owner, they kept the boat in the same yard and that engine is
still running strong.

Buying a fancy shmancy boat with a Yanmar (and a monthly payment to the bank)
simply gave me more things to learn about.  Yes, the Yanmar is reliable.  Yes
the Yanmar has needed some repairs and maintenance.

Burt Stratton has given you some great advice.  Most of the things he has
mentioned can be done with basic tools and a bit of hand-eye coordination.

The coil problem you mentioned leads me to ask one question; Did you buy the
coil Moyer recommends?  I had coil problems.  First I bought a cheap coil from
NAPA, then i bought a better coil from NAPA.  I eventually purchased the exact
coil from Moyer and that was the final coil I purchased.

If you are keeping the boat and the engine does not have good compression or
you have other reason to believe it's DOA, then, my advice is to seriously
consider the "Moyer Option".

Read the Moyer forums and learn as much about the engine as you can so you can
service it yourself and learn to fix it yourself in a pinch.

OR, buy an outboard and join some outboard forums so you can service and fix
that outboard yourself while stranded out at sea with no wind.

You have options;
1.  Hang off the stern cursing with bleeding knuckles while dropping tools into
the water.
2.  Curse with bleeding knuckles down below in the shade practicing to be a
carnival contortionist.

Rob