From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Brass via CnC-List
Sent: August 20, 2014 11:42 AM
To: Paul Baker; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Upsizing boats

I'm not sure how many of our "classic" C&C hulls did not have cored hulls.

Someone on the list can probably determine the date when C&C started using
balsa core, but I'd guess it was on new designs that went into production
around 74 or 75.

My 38 is balsa core. The 33 is cored. The 37 if I'm not mistaken. And all
the boats from the 80's.

My 25 - a design from 71 or 72 - has a balsa cored deck and a solid hull.
But it is a small boat and any given thickness of glass is going to result
in more stiffness than the same layup schedule would give to a 35 foot boat.
The 35-1&2 and 30-1 are also older designs and probably not cored.

Data from US SAILING PHRF BOOK and sailboatdata.com show the following:
30-1   8000 lbs. 43% ballast. Range of PHRF ratings 168-186. Lake Ontario
PHRF 174

30-2.  8275 lbs.  38% ballast? range of PHRF ratings 144-165. Lake Ontario
PHRF 147

35-2.  13850 lbs. (35-1 had 5500 lbs ballast, which would be about 40%)
range of PHRF 120-142. Lake Ontario PHRF 132

35-3.  10800 lbs. 42% ballast range of PHRF 114-129. Lake Ontario PHRF 123

It is not impossible to build a non-cored hull that sails well. George &
George certainly did it. But even newer cored designs from C&C do seem to
tend to be faster.

Recall the discussion about the non-cored Shannon 38 from last week. IIRC
the conclusion was heavy and slow.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 20, 2014, at 1:12, Paul Baker via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> So which one do all the "classic" C&Cs fall into with their solid hulls?
;-)

> Paul.
> Orange Crush
> 27MkII, Sidney, BC