Thanks for info.  I use it primarily when motoring.  Upwind it does pretty
well.  Downwind in fillowi g seas not so well.
Bill Walker

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Monday, October 12, 2015 Michael Brown via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

I had a Raymarine ST4000 wheel drive that worked but in some circumstances
not well. Trying to use it upwind into waves had it steering all over the
place, and
playing with the damping settings didn't solve it. At lower speeds it would
hunt a lot.

At the Toronto boat show I spoke with the people at the Raymarine booth, and was
told to add a rudder sensor. Since I have no play in the steering and the
geometry
doesn't change I also wondered why it would make a difference. The answer was
that the software handles the steering differently when it can measure the
rudder
angle directly rather than stepping the drive motor and calculating the angle.

I added the sensor. My guess is that it didn't do much. Maybe a bit more stable
upwind, still not great though.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1