From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Ahmet via
CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:10 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Ahmet
Subject: Stus-List Update: Re: Keel attachment issues on a C&C 25

A few weeks ago I started a thread about the rust on my keel bolt washers
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic2.jpg> .

Today, I bit the bullet and removed one keelbolt with the boat in the water
with a 3 ft breaker bar extended with a pipe. The nut seemed to still have
the right torque, and came out once I applied the force in the right
direction :)

I was able to peel off the corroded washer/backing plate with a screwdriver
and a hammer.

The bolt threads were clean (pic 5)
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic5.jpg>  . So was the nut l (pic 9)
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic9.jpg>  . It was all stainless steel.

I did not get a chance to test the magnetism. I will do tomorrow.

At no point was a hint of water seepage.

Whatever was left as the rusted plate under the washer is in this picture
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic13.jpg> . It looks like an iron
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic14.jpg>  backing plate. It is very
magnetic.

All I had was galvanized washers. So I put the good stainless steel washer
to the bottom added 2 galvanized washers and a galvanized lock washer and
tightened  the nut back to approx, 200
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic11.jpg>  lbs-ft.

Probably useless, but I put some boat-life under the stainless washer which
probably got totally squeezed out. In the picture
<http://www.boatjuggler.com/images/pic12.jpg>  you can not see the stainless
washer because it is thinner and hidden behind the silicon.

There is a slight bulge at the base of the keel bolt.

Repair plan:

I am planning to use:

*       Marine-Tex just  to flatten out the bilge area, probably max 1/4
inches in the deepest areas, Â
*       use  a layer of 3m 4200
*       a  4 by 4 by 1 inch G-10 board as a backing plate
*       followed with triple 316 stainless washers.

Does it look like overkill ? Should I just use 1/2 inch thick G-10 boards ?

I will keep an eye on the galvanized washers. I am not very comfortable
mixing galvanized with stainless.

Now that I have sort of an idea what is under the nuts, I will complete the
job for the other washers when I pull the rest of the nuts out while on the
dry next spring.

If someone sees something wrong in all these (besides removing the nut while
in the water, which seems to be a very contested subject  ) please feel
free to scold me :)

Thank You

Ahmet

Winthrop Yacht Club / Constitution Marina, Boston, MA

1990 Irwin 43 CC "Waterdancer"

1973 C&C 25 "Tabasco"

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 11:08 PM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List