>… a bit leery of using the G10 as a backing material.

Properly sized G10 and similar high density epoxy board material is likely
stronger that the surrounding hull structure.  For keel bolts I would use a SS
washer under the nut but if additional spacers are needed, even on our 43’s
9,000 lb. keel I would use epoxy board.

A plus to the epoxy/glass board is the lack of corrosion and relative ease of
machining (drilling / shaping) however epoxy/glass board will dull drill bits
and other cutting tools quickly.

On Calypso I have used many different thicknesses of G10 and FR4 (fire
retardant) in the ongoing deck repair/restoration project.  I have access to
many thicknesses and types of epoxy board as my company uses it in many
products.

Calypso’s new deck hardware backing plates are epoxy board or a layup of
several layers of epoxy board and bi-ax cloth when additional  thickness is
called for.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43