I frequently drill from both sides when using a hole saw when I want a clean
hole on each side.  When you drill from one side you risk splintering on the
exit side. So....do it!

Dennis C.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 10, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Eric Frank via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> A question about removing a depth transducer to install the new one.  Based
> on earlier input from the list, I have used a 2 inch hole saw from the top.
> Fortunately the diameter of the old transducer is just shy of 2 in and the
> new one requires a 2 in hole. So the body of the old transducer just fits
> inside the hole saw, keeping it lined up with little drag (not cutting much
> of the plastic body of the transducer).  When the inside top of the hole saw
> reached the top of the transducer, I then cut off the top half of the
> transducer so I could proceed drilling down.  Now the hole saw just touches
> the hull, but the inside top of the hole saw hits the top of the transducer,
> so I will need to saw off the next section of the transducer to proceed
> further.  With my tools, not so easy to saw off the transducer just above the
> hull. Question: what about drilling down thru the transducer with a regular
> drill bit, using the pilot hole made by the drill bit in the hole saw, and
> then, using that h
 ole as a guide, use the hole saw to proceed up from the outside of the hull.
This would avoid cutting thru more of the transducer (a pain), and the pilot
hole should guide the hole saw. Sound OK, or better to continue from the top?