I have drilled many a large hole that way. Works great.
    Doug MountjoysvPegasusLF38 just west of Ballard, WA.

------ Original message------From: Eric Frank via CnC-List Date: Thu, Dec 10,
2015 12:20To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com;Cc: Eric Frank;Subject:Stus-List depth
transducer replacement
A question about removing a depth transducer to install the new one.  Based on
earlier input from the list, I have used a 2 inch hole saw from the top.
Fortunately the diameter of the old transducer is just shy of 2 in and the new
one requires a 2 in hole. So the body of the old transducer just fits inside
the hole saw, keeping it lined up with little drag (not cutting much of the
plastic body of the transducer).  When the inside top of the hole saw reached
the top of the transducer, I then cut off the top half of the transducer so I
could proceed drilling down.  Now the hole saw just touches the hull, but the
inside top of the hole saw hits the top of the transducer, so I will need to
saw off the next section of the transducer to proceed further.  With my tools,
not so easy to saw off the transducer just above the hull. Question: what about
drilling down thru the transducer with a regular drill bit, using the pilot
hole made by the drill bit in the hole saw, and then, using that hole as a
guide, use the hole saw to proceed up from the outside of the hull.  This would
avoid cutting thru more of the transducer (a pain), and the pilot hole should
guide the hole saw. Sound OK, or better to continue from the top?Thanks as
always for your input.Eric FrankCat's PawC&C 35 Mk IIMattapoisett,
address:CnC-List@cnc-list.comTo change your list preferences, including
unsubscribing -- go to the bottom of page
at:http://cnc-list.com/mailman/listinfo/cnc-list_cnc-list.com