Wing nuts are fine for a battery that is Uninstalled on a regular basis.  As
in,  you take it home when you aren't in the boat.
But batteries that are permanently installed should have regular nuts that are
torqued to the right specification. A proper maintenence schedule of the
batteries should include slightly loosening and re-torquing the nuts once a
month. However,  this paper days to re-torque when the terminal resistance gets
to high.
Http://www.battcon.com/papersfinal2015/4%20Tressler%20Paper%202015.pdf
This re-torquing is why I prefer split lock washers inserted before the nut
more than self locking nuts because the nylon inserts tend to reduce their
holding power after a few times of being worked back and forth.
The battery manufacture should have in their installation instructions the
torque specification.
Once torqued correctly,  you want to apply a no-ox grease. That spray on stuff
from the auto store will work fine if you are inland,  but boats in the salt
environment should get a heavy no-ox that you apply with a brush.
JamesS/V Kristy 1971 C&C 39

greatly appreciated!