Hi Dave,

Here's how I understood the whole thing.  An alternator's design is
basically the reverse of a regular DC motor with an added twist..

On a regular DC motor the windings (Electro magnets) are on the spinning
armature and there are permanent magnets attached to the housing. You add
voltage to it:  The windings are energized, they produce a magnetic force
opposite to the permanent magnet on the housing, the motor spins. The more
voltage, the stronger the electro magnet on the armature becomes, the
faster it spins

On an alternator, the windings are on the housing (Stator) and the magnets
are spinning with the shaft (Rotor).
You spin the alternator, the magnets fields excite the windings, A/C
electricity is produced.
The alternator's added twist is that the magnets are not permanent, they
are electro-magnets with their own winding.  The genius here is that it
makes the magnets adjustable where their strength (And the Alternator's
output) can be controlled by varying the voltage applied to them while
still being driven at the same RPM..  Voila :-)

The alternator I burned was most assuredly the original Yanmar unit.. It
had the funky looking fan, was stamped 'Yanmar", and was painted the same
color as the rest of the engine.  I guess the one on your 2GM is somehow
different than what was on my 3GM..

-Francois
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA