Couple other data points:

The diesel mechanic gave me a huge DUH ! when I explained what had
happened.. He said, you just learned the hard way that you should never
turn off the ignition key on a diesel while it's running. What happened
was punishment for my brain fart.. The guy fixes diesels for a living
The alternator shop I talked to said the exact same thing. Burned diodes
blah blah, happens all the time to new diesel owners..

Francois Rivard
1990 34+ "Take Five"
lake Lanier, GA

greatly appreciated!