It is hard to say for sure what your regulator is going to control voltage
at and without know what type of batteries you have it is hard to know what
voltage it should be.  Normal car alternators control at about 14.4v.  A
lead-acid battery is considered to be fully charged when the resting
voltage is at 12.7v... But that is after it has set for a while or once the
the "overcharge" has been removed.

You most likely did no damage if the alternator is still putting out a
charge and 13.5v is definitely a charge.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD