Barbara
               I have been down the worst case scenario road and the whole
story is on the cnc photoalbum. ( http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/ ).  This really
was the worst case and I agree with the others that you should start with
tightening the keel bolt first to see what happens.  I think I would take the
nut off and have a look under the washer to see what it looks like under there
before tightening it to the proper torque. If the washer is hard to peel off
just leave it there and tighten.

           Gary Kolc