I pretty much agree with Joel for the features on this one. Having had
experience with both high-tech laminates(2) and dacron (2) in the past 20+
years, I would go with the dacron  option as well. The high tech stuff will
keep its shape until it doesn’t, and then it delaminates – and you have
nothing! I had a very nice 3DL genoa which was great until it dissolved into a
bag of strings…. The dacron can be recut if it gets old – and it will slowly
get old and may need a tune up a few years into its life. Add some draft
stripes so you can keep track of the shape (I have 2). The shelf deal is not
that important, it was a throw-back to the days of non loose footed sails. I
have gone with a single full length batten up top and three partials, but that
is just my (and a couple of sailmakers) choice.

And, get good cloth, that is the most important feature. Maybe a little heavier
than what the cheap options suggest, just for longevity sake. I crew on a J-105
at times and the new high tech sails he has are like plywood they are so stiff,
but they hold their shape like plastic in heavy or light air. But, he will toss
them when they stop doing that.

Good luck, the studying is as much fun as sailing itself.

Gary

Maryland