I've now researched and purchased sails for my last 2 boats. Main and head for the Viking 33 and head sail for the new boat.

I've come to the conclusion that you can get good sails from Rolly (or any other mail order sail loft) if you don't buy their cheapest sail. The head sail on my current boat was a rolley tasker and it was a mess. I'm certain they bought the cheapest sail they could find. I may bring that in for an inspection as well. If it is serviceable I may have it fixed up as a spare. I don't think it was very old but, I think it was left, furled on the furler, exposed to the elements for years. It only had a dacron sun cover. Otherwise, I'll donate it and get a sea bag. I think it may be usable if they re-cut it and make a smaller head sail, say a 100 or a 110 percent.

you can spec good sailcloth from a mail order loft but then the price closes in on the local loft prices.

For the Viking, I got Quantum sails from a local sail maker, got a 15 percent boat show discount and the price fell right in between the local loft's non-discounted prices and the inexpensive mail order prices.

This latest sail I got from a Canadian mail order sail loft and ordered their highest grade cruising sail. I'll be bringing that in for an inspection cleaning and storage pretty soon so, I'll get a better review at that time. It seems like a really nice sail and compared to the mainsail, (which was already review by the local guy for inspection and storage last year and he said it was good, well built sail) and my untrained eye it seemed to be a better built sail. 4 rows of stitching, highly reinforced corners, Heavy Challenge Marlehead dacron and I think I got it for good price. The main I compared it to is a Neil Pride sail. which, I understand, has a good reputation for making high quality sails.

Hope this helps some,

Danny