We poured it into the sea strainer with the engine running and pumping it
through the system.  Poured about 5L in until it came out the exhaust (I
think).  I do have concern though if the thermostat was routing it into the
block.  I did warm up the engine first for ~20min under load with hopes
that the thermostat would route the water to the block.

Based on what Markek is suggesting, I may not have used enough AF...