Hey all -

I have recently found myself with $750 worth of gift cards to spend at
Fisheries Supply. I’m debating about what to buy and thought you guys might
be able to help me.

Big-ticket items I’d like for my 1977 C&C 34:

*Some kind of autopilot system* - It looks like from the website Fisheries
autopilot systems are not really aimed at sailboats, but I wonder if they’d
be able to order something. Defender’s got the Raymarine Evolution EV-100
Wheel Autopilot Pack
<http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|344|2028687|2028710&id=2305359>
at
$1249, which is obviously a chunk more than I’ve got but it could be an
option. I am thinking however that I’d probably prefer to buy a simpler
autopilot (something that basically just holds a course) second hand from
somebody who is looking to upgrade and save a lot of money that way.
Anybody have experience with the Raymarine unit or used units I should be
on the lookout for?

*Self-Tailing Winches for the cabin top* - right now we’ve got two
mismatched non-self-tailing winches on our cabin top and it’d be pretty
nice to have the matched and self tailing winches there. Two of these
<http://www.fisheriessupply.com/lewmar-single-speed-aluminum-self-tailing-winches>
would
run past my budget but it would be worth it. They’re single speed though,
so operations like reefing might be challenging. I could just get one
dual-speed self-tailing winch this season and look to upgrade the second
next season... Again, I’m not opposed to looking out for used self-tailing
winches at the next swap meet.

Other things the boat could use:

+ New Spinnaker Halyard (definitely needed for next season)
+ New topping lift, foreguy lines (currently old but not bad)
+ More automatic PFDs (we’ve got plenty of life vests but if we have auto
PFDs we’ll have better luck getting people to wear them)

What do you guys think? If you had $750 to spend on boat gear what would
you spend it on?

Andrew

--
Andrew Means