I think Frank was just referring to the fact that silicone calk and tape of
any type are only short sighted solutions and may even make the final
repair more difficult.  Silicone makes everything it touches nearly
impervious to any other adhesive or sealer in the future, and most tapes
will break down after a short period of time resulting in a messy residue
which will necessitate the used of a goo remover which may, like silicone,
make future adhesives ineffective.

"Unless you are sailing in the rain I suggest a tarp while in the slip."

The "right" way is generally accepted to be 3M VHB tape followed by Dow 795
to seal the edges.  Mechanical fasteners would seemingly improve the
longevity of the seal but destroy the look and would likely prove to have
unforseen disadvantages.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Mar 28, 2017 4:43 PM, "Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List" <