My Universal 25XPB was overheating a bit at high rpm's.  After eliminating
all the usual suspects, I found pieces of the exchange pencil zincs in one
of the passes.  Scroll about halfway down here:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/heat_exchanger

My exchanger wasn't nearly as plugged as the one above.

It really doesn't take much to affect the heat transfer in marine diesel
heat exchangers.  Heat exchangers are fairly critically designed.  Pluggage
in one or two tubes in one pass can significantly affect the effectiveness
of the entire exchanger.  The flow of water through the remaining tubes
will increase.  The increase in velocity through those tubes will reduce
heat transfer, and so on and so on.

Once I cleaned out the zinc pieces, the engine ran at temp again.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA