With all due respect, my “foolish” approach has worked for several years
without incident.  I have several Garmin GPS units on board for back up, but I
haven’t had the need to consult them as yet.

I guess Lake Erie is just really easy to navigate.

From: Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:24 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Hoyt, Mike
Subject: Re: Stus-List GPS, Chart Plodders and Technology when there is none

“I did not want to invest in an expensive nav system only to discover that it
is obsolete by the time I hook it up. “

Of course the life of an iPad is only 3-4 years and tablets and computers
become obsolete faster than marine equipment.

Yes I also have Navionics on by MS Surface tablet.  I like to use it at chart
table and at home for charting courses.  Is nce to be able to expand the screen
to follow your route to make sure you aren’t plotting over an island, etc …
Also a big enough screen to see and not as huge as the paper charts that
overwhelm the surface of my chart table.  The best thing about the Navionics
tablet option is that it is much easier to bring to my living room before my
trip than the cockpit or nav station of my boat!

I still love the Garmin GPSMAP 740 at our helm.  It is now as old as the first
iPad (that is no longer used or usable and just as relevant as a new Navionics
/ iPad solution.  I don’t even think it costs twice what an iPad costs either.
My 0.02 dollars are that using a tablet as the primary navigation tool is a bit
foolish but as a tool to augment charts and other devices is a great option.
You can also take your tablet when you charter a boat or are on someone else’s
boat which is also nice.

So much for “PLODDING”.  That is what we do when there is no wind

Mike

Persistence

Halifax

Our thoughts are with those facing yet another monster storm