I have a Raymarine e7D plotter at the helm and find it very useful; easy to
read and fairly intuitive to operate. One thing I really like is that it
transmits via wifi, so at the nav station I keep a first or second generation
iPad Velcro-ed to the nav station bulkhead as a repeater. It's truly an elegant
solution as I can look at and control wind instruments, radar, or charts on it.
I can use my current iPad for a separate charting app while I have the radar on
the other one. Now my nav desk is clear and tidy.
For what it's worth, when I was growing up sailing the Strait of Juan de Fuca,
Puget Sound, and the Gulf of Georgia we didn't have GPS, Loran, or any fancy
new-fangled nav gear. We navigated using bearings and steering compass courses
while paying rapt attention to current tables. I think it is a good idea to
master these skills before you start relying on the glowing screen to keep you
out of trouble.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine