Batteries have an acceptance curve. You can see a plot of amps absorbed at a
given discharge state and charge voltage that assume that the capacity of the
charging source is infinite. The idea that the batteries absorb whatever the
alternator can produce is a common one, even though it is wrong. For one
example, my car has a 120 amp alternator and a 50 AH wet cell battery. The
battery does not explode every time I start the car ☺
It is commonly stated that wet cells charge at 0.25C max and gel types are 0.5C
max. This is largely due to the chemistry, the wet cell batteries *restrict
themselves* to 0.25C. If you are charging the batteries too hard, there are a
few ways to fix it. One is a temperature sensor on the battery. If excess
charging heats the battery, the voltage will back off. Another is a
sophisticated regulator that can control amp output as well as voltage. Back in
the day we used this feature to save belts and drag on the engine more so than
for battery issues. The third way is adjusting the voltage setpoints. In my
experience too much charging is the last problem you’ll ever have on a
sailboat, but say you did. Your 220 amp golf cart wet cell bank is my some
miracle accepting 140 amps instead of the desired 55 amps and somehow the temp
sensor is not backing it off or you don’t have a temp sensor. Just do a test
with low batteries and reduce the set point on the regulator to see the desired
55 amp charge current. By far the bigger issue is set points too high for the
float mode, so you leave the dock with full batteries and end up
wrecking/boiling them with float voltage way too high.
The slow speed charging rate is also very important to sailboats. Figure out
your pulley ratios and look at the output curves of various alternators. You
may find the 180 amp version puts out no more than the 120 amp version at low
engine speeds and you may find out no alternator is going to get you much
running at idle at anchor. I went through a few alternators to settle on a
Balmar 60 amp unit on my boat. It puts out a fair amount more than the 120 amp
10si it replaced at low and medium RPMs, which is not a thing for powerboats
but very much is for us. Those of us with Atomic 4s suffer from small engine
pulleys that make it hard to get any decent output at low RPMs.

Joe
Coquina

* none of this applies to Lithium batteries. You can blow them up real good
without a specialized battery management system