More info – this is a good read:
http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Guide-to-VRLA-Batteries-1927.pdf

More thoughts on alternators. When you look at a “big” alternator, look at the
degraded output while hot, not the cold output. Then look at the output at your
cruising and idle RPMs, not the max RPM the alternator is capable of. You may
well find out the 120 amp alternator is derated to 90-100 when hot and only
doing 80 at your cruise RPM and 40 (or less) at idle. Your big gain may be
putting out much more than your stock alternator at lower RPMs, not in the max
possible output. You should also hopefully gain a more robust unit. The usual
progression we had back in the day was customer bought big batteries and then
came back for a 3 stage regulator, then the burned out their stock alternator
and came back again for a better alternator to go with the new batteries and
new regulator. Any auto-derived alternator was originally designed for smallish
batteries with thin plates that charge very fast on startup and taper off
quickly, not putting out max output for hours on end.

Joe
Coquina

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!