I have had the pedestal partially apart, in that I replaced the brake pads and
lubed the chain.  I also got it far enough apart to jump the chain links for
the purposes of realigning the wheel.  I have not taken the chain off entirely.
 If, in fact the bolts thread into a deck fitting rather than having to work
with nuts on the backside, that would make things MUCH easier.
Interestingly, there was some commentary about how there were "wheels" replaced
in the steering system before I bought the boat, but that was not documented,
so I kind of disregarded it at the time.  I'd sure like it if I didn't have to
deal with parts that are no longer manufactured!
Any available documentation about the process on my particular boat would be
extremely helpful!

Bruce Whitmore
1994 C&C 37/40+, "Astralis"
(847) 404-5092 (mobile)