Hi Brien,

Have to share this. I don't know what the previous owner used in my 1990 shaft
seal. It does leak slightly when I first launch and when running, but not after
the engine stops. I've owned the boat fifteen years since 2002 and never
tightened the packing. No, I won't take it apart.

I guess it is one of the newer packing materials.