You’re right Josh. The purpose of the vent is to eliminate the need to “burp”
the air out of the shaft log when you splash the boat. And since the shaft log
is not under pressure, other than the fact that it is a foot or two below the
waterline, if the end of the tube is above the heeled water line there should
be no water siphoned through it into the bilge.

How do I know this? I had a friend with an older Benneteau that had a
“generation 1” PYI seal (no vent tube). His bilge was so dry he put spider
spray into the bilge to fight the cobwebs, and I was pretty impressed.

When he sold the Benny (which was 15-20 years old with the original seal), he
wanted to install a PYI seal in the replacement boat.  The new seal was a
“generation 2” with vent. He called PYI and they told him that the primary
failure mode for the early seals was that owners did not burp them and ensure
the log was full of water. The water cools the seal and, I suspect, provides a
little lubrication.

A PYI seal is on the project list for Imzadi, when I  finally need to replace
my current packing in a few years.

What I have now is a “dripless moldable packing” sold by Western Pacific
Trading, Inc. (phone 800-944-3501). The kit has some “Playdough-like” material
with Teflon in it, and a lubricating liquid. You put one wrap of conventional
packing into the bottom of the stuffing box (to keep the “playdough” from
extruding when you tighten the box). Then you roll a hunk of playdough into a
string, dip it into the lube, and wrap it around the shaft until the stuffing
box is almost full. Top it off with another wrap of packing to stop extrusion,
and tighten up the stuffing box until it does not drip.

My first installation was in 2004 and it was dripless until a spin halyard went
overboard and caused a bent shaft in 2011. When I replaced the shaft I put in
new packing on general principals. While the boat was out of the water at the
end of 2016 I messed with the prop and replaced the cutlass bearing, and when
the boat went back in the water it dripped a bit. Suspect we disturbed the seal
when messing with the shaft. Tightened the stuffing box and no more leak.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC