I put a PYI Packless Shaft Seal on Corsair in 2001.  It was a ventless model and it was important to burp it in the spring during launch.  It was still pristine when Corsair was scrapped last year.  There is nothing wrong with the traditional stuffing box but those who are concerned of the bellows failing need to consider that their stuffing box uses a very similar piece of hose that can fail as well.

We used similar shaft seals in the Aerospace Hydraulic Pumps that I designed for a lot of years (after I no longer designed things that went boom).  We used bronze nose pieces in lieu of the carbon and tungsten carbide but designed for 30,000 hours.  Our designs were from 8,000 rpm for electric motor pumps to 12,000 rpm for hydraulic motor driven generators.  Our low speed diesels really don't need the vent line.

Grace came with a standard stuffing box that was repacked in 2016.  One of my projects this spring will be to replace with a PYI packless shaft seal (with vent, I'm getting too old to stuff myself in lockers to burp seals!).

Both designs rely on a rubber hose to keep the majority of the water on the outside of the boat.  I'll go with the lower maintenance design.  Just one engineer's opinion.

Neil Schiller
Old: 1970 Redwing 35 (C&C 35-1), #007, "Corsair"
New: 1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
White Lake Michigan
WLYC